Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Broken

Not much has been happening in the past week since I broke my arm. Went over the handlebars of my bike and landed in the ditch. On my extended arm. Ouch. At least I got a free ride in an ambulance! My elbow got dislocated and I think I broke a bone. The broken bone is not quite clear yet - the hospital staff was way more afraid of my pain than me and shot me up with so much morphine that I was unable to spell my name. And therefore can't remember what they told me I actually did to my poor limb. They were very happy that I am right-handed and broke my left arm. So I could still sign forms. Lots of them.

The first couple days were spent in bed with my roommate cooking me food.
Then she left on a camping trip, so I had to get up and cook my own food. After much training and some interesting acrobatics I am now able to slice bread with the cast pinning down the loaf (with much force, actually making a dent in the poor thing) and the bread knife in my right hand severing through the dough. Not a pretty sight but the slices I got are better than biting into the loaf. Which could have caused a jar dislocation and a second cast on my face.

My arm has nicely swollen up and taken on some color:
Hopefully I will get rid of that huge heavy cast tomorrow. So I can go for a bike ride! (I think it will take some special skill to convince the doctor that this a good idea. But I have been formulating a speech for the last 6 days - it all makes perfect sense. At least to me.)

2 comments:

Leslie said...

oooh, ouch! Heal quickly! At least you enjoy the view from your room and your ceiling - ha.

Anonymous said...

Ach Heike, das hast Du ja mal wieder gut hingekriegt! Ich sags ja: Sport ist Mord ;-)
Liebe Grüße und gute Besserung
Alexandra