Sunday, February 22, 2009

A tropical cyclone

.. or ET for extratropical transition has descended upon us. While they are not supposed to make it this far down south EVER - here it is. All the way down at the southern end of the south island. This has only happened one other time in the last 30 years (according to a friend you might not remember this quite right). Either way it is kind of special. It has been raining now without interruption for 72 hours. And the stormwater drain system is slightly overwhelmed:This weather puts one in the perfect mood for Luciano Pavarotti. So I brawled my way through his tribute concert yesterday afternoon. Fabulous! (Except for Sting trying to sing opera - that seemed a bit weird. And Andrea Bocelli is old all of a sudden - that is weird too.)

We also seem to be doing a lot of cooking (and eating) these days. Lucky for me I got rid of my cast and have been going to the gym (not like paddling down a river but better than nothing). Especially since it enables me to eat all of Annelies' desserts which are incredibly good.

Talking about casts: my friend Andy works at the hospital and got me a copy of my x-rays. Fascinating! Job well done on my part breaking it apart. And on the doctor's part putting it back together. The forecast predicts the rain will end sometime on Tuesday. What I really don't understand is the UV forecast. It is "8-very high" for today. I think I am going to be a rebel and go outside without sunscreen. I really don't want to make a mess in my raincoat.

No comments: