Sunday, January 4, 2009

Hunkering down and hanging on

This is kind of like a Sarah Palin blog post - everybody's gotta have one. Only this time it's about the weather. Or better the bitter cold. And talking about it has been a Fairbanksian favorite pastime for days now. But yep, it's damn cold here. We even made it onto the "Coldest places in the world" website.
I am currently in Alaska trying very hard to ignore the Dunedin webcams. Sometimes I get well-meaning emails from people telling me about the nice weather there. But what do they know? We have SNOW here! And if it ever warms up again we might be able to go outside and enjoy it. And I'll get to break in the new splitboard. So far only Ben has been lucky enough to use it. On the one nice powder day before the cold spell:
But for now: it's Party Time! Happy New Year everybody!

7 comments:

sarahjane said...

Crypes! That's not -62C is it? Its -62F hey? What is that in C?

sarahjane said...

woops! I'm logged in as Sunshine's sister... its Leigh here...

Leigh Blackall said...

ok, its me now.

Leslie said...

yeah, what the heck does that silly Freddies sign say?? I'm with you - snow over 'lovely' weather!

Heike said...

Hehehehe - the sign at Freddies was broken but I just had to post that picture. -62F would be -52C. In reality it was ONLY -45F that day which is -43C. It's again -39F (that is -39.4C for you Leigh!) today here. Fairbanks is slowly but surely falling into an alcohol-induced coma. Or maybe that is just Ben and me :)

Ben said...

drink early. drink often.

Unknown said...

You can't drink all day unless you get an early start.