Sunday, November 30, 2008

Ode to the Bicycle



Mein Fahrrad
by Die Prinzen

Just the other day I was riding my bicycle around at 120 (This is a joke! It is not to be taken literally. Even on the Autobahn, German bikes do not go that fast!)
And as always I could only hope
That the police wouldn't stop me
Because then I'd have to pay a fine
And they'd interrogate me
And my poor little bicycle
Would end up alone in front of the door

Oh how I love my bicycle
Why, I do not know
I am faithful to my bicycle
In contrast to my wife
I will never leave it
I will never walk away from it
We fly around as if on clouds
Because we understand each other so well

Every snot drives an Opel
Every ape drives a Ford
Every idiot drives a Porsche
Every ass an Audi Sport
Every crazy drives a Manta
Every goober Jaguar
Only connoisseurs ride a bicycle
And always get there faster

My bicycle is not purple
Because that doesn't turn me on at all
It is also not brown
Because I can't stand brown
No, I've painted it blue
From the saddle to the tubes
And I think that's very appropriate
Because some days I am blue too ("blue" in German is drunk)

And here is the original on the RIGHT side of the road:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY24qc7woW4

6 comments:

Leslie said...

Ha, ha - Andy's riding a road bike!

jason a said...

I couldn't tell - did he also shave his legs?

I "love" the music. Check out some of their videos on Youtube if you get a chance. They give a strange impression of Germany... Now I understand why my German friends ended up the way they did.

I can't decide which song is my favorite: "Deutschland" or "Kuessen verboten".

Heike said...

OMG - those videos are hilarious! I didn't expect them to be on Youtube. Haven't heard this song in years: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Ackbtn5bU
Thanks Jason!

And FYI: Andy is now able to balance himself on the bike but has a hard time keeping up due to the air resistance from all those leg hairs. He is not convinced it makes a difference so I am inviting a smooth-legged friend along for the next ride. Stay tuned...

Wayfarer Scientista said...

Oooo! This has always been a favorite song of mine! Especially when I'm biking! Good for you for translating - I can't hear it in English.

Leigh Blackall said...

Tour de Otago! See all the colours! What colours!? Bah! Ring ring!

hehe.. I think you need a pump cam.

Unknown said...

I love the translation Heike! Merry Christmas - we miss you here in Alaska!